If I want to study MBBS abroad, is NEET compulsory for MBBS in abroad? It is one of the most commonly asked questions by medical students considering pursuing their MBBS degree in a foreign country.
This post will address all of your queries about whether the NEET qualification is compulsory for MBBS abroad or not.
First and foremost, you should understand what NEET is and why students are concerned about it.
NEET stands for National Eligibility and Entrance Test. It is a single admission examination in top government and private medical colleges for all medical students in India.
If a student wishes to enrol in an MBBS program at one of India’s medical colleges, NEET is the exam to take. Seats in various government and private medical institutions across India are allocated to eligible applicants through this entrance exam.
Following students needs to qualify for the NEET exam as it serves as an eligibility test for them:
- who have not passed the NEET exam,
- who are unable to acquire a seat in an Indian medical college owing to financial constraints,
- who cannot afford B or C category seats in India, and
- who wish to continue their MBBS degree abroad.
What can students do if they fail the NEET exam?
Don’t be concerned if you don’t pass the NEET exam. There are still options available to you. Yes, as stated above by the MCI, passing the pre-medicine curriculum is a prerequisite for the MD (Doctor of Medicine) degree; and it is equal to the MBBS degree in India. In addition, according to the MCI rule,
NEET is required for admission to MBBS or MD programs but not for pre-medicine programs. Depending on the college or university, this curriculum generally lasts 1-2 years.
NEET test is required for admission to an MBBS program abroad. In general, if students do not qualify for NEET in a given academic year, they must wait one year to retake the test and qualify for MBBS overseas. Instead of wasting a year studying for NEET, a candidate can apply for straight admission to MBBS programs in several international nations that follow the US medical pattern’s Pre-Medicine curriculum.
Is NEET Compulsory for MBBS abroad medical colleges?
NEET is necessary to qualify because the candidate receives a registration number from the Medical Council of India (MCI), which is required for student’s admission to MBBS courses in medical universities abroad. However, if a student does not want to practice medicine in India in the future or pursue an MBBS program in another nation; NEET is not compulsory for them to study abroad. MCI’s NEET requirement is for those who desire to study MBBS in another country and then practice medicine in India.
Eligibility Criteria for MBBS abroad.
- The student must have finished +2 or 12th grade in a regular school.
- Students who took open board or correspondence programs are unable to study MBBS in another country.
- Biology, Physics, and Chemistry should be included in the student’s 12th-grade curriculum.
- +2 / Intermediate with 50% of total PCB marks for students in the General category.
- Students in the SC/ST/OBC categories must have a PCB aggregate of 40% or above.
- English should be a required subject as well.
- The student must be 17 years old or older as of December 31st of the year in which admission is sought.
Admission procedure to study MBBS abroad.
Candidates can continue with their application procedure after meeting all of the qualifying conditions. Candidates must select the university or college where they wish to continue their education and complete an online application form with all needed information and fees. The applicant is required to upload a set of papers. This includes the following:-
- Mark sheets for classes 10 and 12
- MCI Eligibility Certificate
- MCI Eligibility Certificate
- Financial Statements for Individuals
- Statement of Purpose (SOP)
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Passport (if already exists)
- Recommendation Letter (LOR)
- Certificates of Proficiency in a Foreign Language
- Photographs of Passport Size
- Medical Certification
After receiving all required papers and paying the required fees, the admission committee of the particular institution will thoroughly examine the candidate’s application form, and if all requirements are satisfied, the students will get an admission letter from the university.
Following that, students should apply for a student VISA along with additional papers such as a passport (if not previously obtained) and a letter of acceptance from the university.